Solar Development Kit with TI BLE (DEV-BLE-TI)
THIS KIT HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED AND IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
- DEV-BLE-TI circuit board assembly
- (2) LL200-2.4-75 Indoor Solar Panel with 6” leads
- (2) ONP1.2-37x54 Classic Application Solar Panel with 6” leads
- 60mAh rechargeable Li-Polymer battery
- Instructions, hardware and software files, and product documentation
- Where To Buy
The recent transition to the TI Simplelink Sensortag app provides a more consistent experience for users.
Unfortunately, this more stable app doesn't support battery-sensing and displays inaccurate temperature data. We apologize for the inconvenience.
The Solar Development Kit with TI BLE extends the TI CC2650 Sensortag Bluetooth and data collection by integrating energy harvesting and flexible solar. This complete energy harvesting solution can operate in dim indoor environments when using our Indoor Light panels and outdoors using the Classic Application panels.
This development kit is designed to be fully customizable. DevPack and JTAG connectors are present for debugging and adding TI DevPack plug-in modules. All IO pins can be accessed via a ten-pin female header so that external sensors can easily be added. The current onboard sensors can be disconnected by cutting solder bridges to allow access to all 10 IO pins.
Software development can be done using Code Composer Studio and Android Studio, which are both free to use. EAGLE PCB files are also provided.
Use Cases - Power Source For
Wireless connectivity is now standard in modern electronics and the growing IoT and sensing industries. Many applications in this area are very low power and can run entirely off a solar energy harvesting solution.
- BLE Beacons and Tags
- Smart Windows and Shades
- E-Paper Displays
- Wireless Sensors
- Smart Locks
- Field and Herd Monitoring
- Other Low Power Electronics
Wireless Sensing Unit
- Pre-configured to measure light level.
- Adjustable data rate from 0.1 – 30 seconds.
- CC2650 Ultra-Low Power Simplelink Multi-Standard Wireless MCU.
- I/O pin breakout.
- User-friendly mobile application.
- Supports Bluetooth Low Energy, ZigBee, 6LoWPAN and ZigBee RFCE.
Energy Harvesting Unit
- BQ25570 Nano Power Boost Charger and Buck Converter.
- Optimized for PowerFilm Indoor Light Series solar panels.
- Operational down to 200 lux and below.
- Artificial light collection.
- Battery charging with over/under voltage protection. Compatible with Li-ion, LiFePO4, Thin-Film, capacitors, and supercapacitors.
- Adjustable output voltage from 2-5 volts.
- Open-source hardware and software.
Capacitor / Supercapacitor Storage Element Operation
The Basic Solar Dev Kit sub-circuit can run and operate with a capacitor as the storage element instead of a rechargeable battery. The capacitor will maintain steady power to the system while light is available.
The charge and discharge rate will be significantly affected by the size of the capacitor. If the capacitor is completely discharged (0V), the charge rate will be slower because the harvester chip is not yet fully functional. Figures below show charge up times vs. storage capacitance size for 0V-3V and 3V-4.2V. The capacitor must be rated for 6V or greater.
Board Configuration and Customization
The Solar Development Kit with TI BLE hardware is currently configured to charge a Li-Polymer type battery with a max voltage of 4.2V and the output voltage set to 3.0V. The configuration can be customized by modifying SMT resistor dividers per the BQ25570 datasheet specifications which can be found under the “Resources” section above.
Resistors OV1(2), OK1(2)(3), and OUT1(2) control the output voltage, charge configuration, and power management of the BQ25570 PMIC. Use the formulas below to determine appropriate 0603 package resistor values for your desired application.
Output Voltage: VOUT = 1.21 * (R_OUT2 + R_OUT1)/R_OUT1
Charge Termination Voltage: VBAT_OV = 1.815 * (1 + R_OV2/R_OV1)
Low Voltage Load Disconnect: VBAT_MIN = 1.21 * (1 + R_OK2/R_OK1)
Load Re-connect Hysteresis: VBAT_MIN_HYST = 1.21 * (1 + (R_OK2+R_OK3)/R_OK1)
For best results the sum of each resistor divider should be as close too but not exceeding 13Mohms. VOUT cannot exceed VBAT, VBAT_OV cannot exceed 5.5V, and VBAT_MIN cannot be less than 2V.
*No international shipments for online purchases. For delivery to other locations, please order via Digi-Key or Mouser.
Solar Development Kit with TI BLE Spec Sheet
Solar Development Kit with TI BLE Quick Start Guide
Solar Development Kit with TI BLE Operation Guide
Download DEV-BLE-TI Software & Resources Below